Monday, August 25, 2014

weekend in review, birthday time, start of school stuff

We still have a long weekend coming this week, but this weekend felt a little like the last one of summer. Celia's first day of school is this week. On Saturday morning there was an event for kindergarteners at Celia's school, so I took her to that. As we neared the school, Celia said she was a little nervous and wanted to take deep breaths. Haha. She is so cute, and it's so cute how she is learning to cope with stress and nerves as she gets older. So we took slow deep breaths as we drove into the school parking lot. It was a nice event. The kids had stickers color coded based on class, so we were able to spot other kids from Celia's class. I met a few parents too. Then everyone went to the cafeteria and the principal talked to the kids and read them a story. I have to say, so far I feel pretty good about this school. The staff and administrators we've met so far have been great, and the PTO is very active. After the story, the kids did a craft and as we were leaving we stopped at the playground again. There were only a few kids there, and they happened to be from Celia's class. So Celia played and I talked to a couple other moms for a long time. It was great. We also talked about buses. Apparently the parent pick-up and drop-off is horribly congested and takes forever, so almost everyone uses the bus. Celia has been nervous about riding the bus, but after visiting the school I think she felt more comfortable and now she wants to take it. So that will make life a little easier and save me time. Hopefully she won't change her mind again. I haven't allowed myself to think much about it yet, but I'm dreading the moment when she has to climb on that bus without me, and I have to watch it take her away. I know she will be fine, she will probably love school, and that it's an opportunity for her to have a new kind of independence and learn to handle her nerves without my help. But still... 


On Sunday, I had wanted to go apple and peach picking. It turned out that the orchard we like was closed for the day, so we ended up back at the bike path we've discovered. We walked/rode more than two miles and had a picnic lunch. There is a nice picnic area by the water, and the kids had fun playing in a gazebo and on some big rocks.




We spent the afternoons at home this weekend. The kids played outside some, and did a lot of pretend play inside.

This was Henry pretending to fix the sink. (He was imitating Chris, who fixed our kitchen faucet last week.)


The kids also built a fort all by themselves, and played restaurant. At one point, Celia and I were playing restaurant and Henry crawled in with a green blanket over himself, pretending to be a caterpillar. So then they were playing together, with Celia taking care of the caterpillar. 


Today was my birthday. I didn't sleep well at all last night, because I couldn't stop thinking about Celia starting school and riding the bus. And I still have three more nights to worry about it! So I was tired this morning, but my first client ended up cancelling so that was nice. I had just one client to see, and then I went grocery shopping and mowed the lawn when I got home. That may not sound like a fun birthday activity, but I really like mowing the lawn. My parents were here with Celia all day, since school hasn't started yet. She had a great day with them. We had a good dinner, and my brother and sister in law came too. (They are Uncle Wally and Aunt Holly to the kids- my brother's name is actually Colin, but I call him Wally. I am totally weird.) And now I'm just relaxing and hoping for a good night of sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment