Celia was completely calm and ready to go. When the bus stopped, she didn't hesitate or cling to me. She walked right up those steps and disappeared. I knew that the hardest moment, for me, would be watching that bus drive away. And it was. I spent the next half hour internally freaking out a little, hoping the bus ride was okay, hoping she wasn't too nervous once she got to school. Her bus was labeled a "mini bus", so I thought it would have fewer kids. But that bus was full! I'd forgotten how noisy a school bus full of kids could be. Then I left for work, and luckily was distracted by that all day. I got home about an hour before Celia's bus, and sat outside way too early because I was paranoid I would miss it. It came later than I thought it would, but Celia said she liked the bus ride. There are two girls from her class on the afternoon bus, and she liked that.
Here she is, you know, just chatting about her day on the phone. No big deal.
Celia never ceases to amaze me. She is still a little girl and very dependent on Chris and me in many ways, and she has fears and anxieties before something new. But when she needs to pull herself together and do it, she is so calm and capable, and can be very independent. There were a few things she said today that made her seem years older than she was just yesterday. One was when, at dinner, I tried coaxing her to eat by making her potato dance on her plate. She said, "I'm too old for that now." She is a mature kindergarten kid now, I guess.
I'm so glad Celia had a good day, and has told me she wants to go back to school. She also said that the day didn't seem very long. It made me laugh because for me it was probably the longest day of my life! I always thought people were a little crazy to freak out about their kids starting kindergarten, but now I know I was wrong. I have been a basket case all week, so anxious about her starting school, not sleeping... It's been terrible! I'm sure it has been much harder on me than on her, which is good. I'd rather take all the stress if it means she is happy and successful. But I'm also hoping to get a good night's sleep tonight.




That picture of the bus driving away, oh man. :( I totally understand and I will never forget when I saw Zion get on the bus for the first time and he didn't look back. He just sat down and he seemed so grown up and looked straight ahead. Such big moments for us and for our children! Glad to hear it went well.
ReplyDeleteUmm, I am in tears!! That picture of the bus driving away did me in! So glad your "big girl" did so well. :-)
ReplyDelete