Wednesday, May 9, 2012

cooking, curtains and self-sufficient babies

We're having a rainy week and I miss the sun, but we're in a drought right now so the more rain the better. It also makes for cozy staying-inside-and-cooking weather, and I got some cooking done for later in the week while Henry napped this morning.


When I was driving Celia to daycare this morning she said, "Poor Henry. He has to stay home by himself all day!" I was surprised because I thought she understood by now that I stay home with him. Then she said "But Izzy and China can keep him company." (Our cats). I can't believe she thinks that we just leave Henry home alone all day! I tried to explain that Mommy or Daddy stays home or I take him wherever I go, but I didn't go into much detail because I think if Celia knows I'm home all the time while she's at daycare she might not want to go to daycare. It's cute, but at the same time it freaks me out just thinking about the idea of leaving Henry home alone.

Henry has been in a really good mood so far today. I put him in his high chair after his morning nap, and we read books. He was talking away and just looking and smiling at me the whole time. He really likes hearing nursery rhymes.



I'm feeding him now (which is why I'm able to sit and write this!) and we'll play more, I'll have lunch, Henry will nap again (I hope) and I'll try to finish my cooking, fold laundry, and maybe do a quick workout.

I've been looking for affordable curtains for our living room. I saved up some money, but was not planning on spending up to a hundred dollars or more per panel! The living room has four windows, so at those kinds of prices it could cost a thousand dollars. For one room. Who the heck can pay that kind of money just for curtains? Crazy! The usual places for cheap curtains (Target, Kmart, Walmart, etc.) don't have anything close to what I'm looking for. I want something white or cream with a pale blue print. If you know of a good place for affordable curtains please give me ideas!

An example of what I want, not what I can afford...

9 comments:

  1. I love those curtains and I'm sure you can find some at a target or something like that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is too funny about Henry staying home alone! Curtains are super expensive. Try online - curtain outlet? Sears or JC Penny?

    ReplyDelete
  3. We have found curtains for our living room and dining room at Pier 1 on sale, only $29.99 each panel!

    And I agree, it's best Celia think what she believes is true about Henry being home alone all day. hehe :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. only our kids have curtains in their rooms (for darkening purposes... to hopefully get them to sleep later... sometimes it works). anyways, we got them at World Market. they were $15 ish. but that was two years ago, and with inflation these days, who knows! i'd scour online clearance of shops you love - like pottery barn, west elm, anthro.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Adorable Henry pictures! That is too funny what Celia said, some of the things that runs through their heads, ya know?! I'll second Pier 1 and World Market! If you have a walk-in Pottery Barn store I've found panels for $39 each there!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ok, these pictures might be my FAVORITE ever! That top one of the two is so genuine and you can feel happiness radiate thought the screen.

    And get this- in Turkey, curtains are one of the most important parts of their house. The Turkish have this HUGE obsession with people not seeing inside, and you can't go to a Target or Walmart - they don't exist there - so every time you get curtains, they are often custom made and run you ATLEAST a thousand dollars for your home.

    And they're not cute, either. Believe me.

    So the Turk and I used hand-me-downs for the apartment. It was a hot mess as far as design was concerned but I'm a cheapskate :)

    how handy are you with a sewing machine? :)

    Love to you, friend!
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love those drapes!! My mom use to make curtains out of sheets. They came out fine.

    Happy Mothers day!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Too funny Miss C!!
    Happy Mother's Day to you and good luck on the curtains!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Check out http://www.brylanehome.com. I got sheers there a few years ago and they were really nice and fit the budget perfectly!

    ReplyDelete