Today was picture day. The students I see in the afternoon are all from one small special education classroom. Today I helped the class get ready for pictures, and it was just hilarious. Each of the little people in this class has such personality, and put together they are quite a group and very lovable.
So, picture the following scene: It's time to line up at the door to go get class pictures taken. The teacher tells Lucy to stand at the door. Lucy walks to the door and keeps going into the hall. Reverse that. Bring Lucy back inside and get her to stand in front of the door. The teacher tells Joey to line up. He stands up and promptly falls on the floor, taking his chair with him. Next it's Mary's turn. She's been holding her dress hiked up around her chest since she got to school. We cannot convince her to keep her dress where it belongs. Then Michael lines up, having trouble walking because his new sandals gave him blisters. David has shown up to school with one puffy, red eye- perfect for picture day. He provides two reasonable explanations for this: 1) "I stayed outside for half an hour" and 2) "I was taking a bath and jelly started coming out". With that cleared up, the remaining students in the class line up. They have no idea it's picture day and appear quite confused and disheveled. Oh, and I almost forgot the best part: The class is all lined up now, ready to walk down the hall. The entire line of kids is facing the wrong direction! Poor little Lucy had stood facing away from the door, so every child who lined up after her faced the same direction that she was! Wouldn't ya think that by the end of the school year they would know to line up facing the door? Oh dear.
If I have ever learned anything in my teaching..never assume they've learned anything, right!?
ReplyDeleteLOL truly adorable!
ReplyDeleteHa!! Ha ha ha. Yeah that made me giggle. I miss preschool days... I want to have more experience with kids. Very cute. Love your blog!
ReplyDelete