Monday, April 19, 2010

beautiful day for a marathon

Patriot's Day is my favorite day of the year. It's a holiday that's unique to Massachusetts (Maine also celebrates because it was once part of MA, and Wisconsin has a school observance day). It marks the anniversary of the Battles of Lexington and Concord: the start of the American Revolutionary War. It's pretty neat to live in Massachusetts where all of this history began. Some people think it's silly for Massachusetts to have these "extra" holidays (Evacuation Day is another) but I think it's really special that we have a unique history to celebrate.

So, I already think Patriot's Day is kind of a cool holiday but it's made a thousand times better by the fact that it's also Marathon Day! The Boston Marathon is one of a small group of elite marathons throughout the world. Boston has such an air of excitement on Marathon Monday. Everyone is outside. The course is crowded with people and the noise can be deafening at the finish line area. I'm telling you, if you are a crazy runner person like me it is the most fun and exciting day of the year!

When I moved to Boston after college, every year I would watch the marathon. Sometimes I would go by myself, sometimes with a friend or with my brother (a fellow runner). As long as I got there, I was happy. You can't help getting caught up in the excitement, and seeing the elite runners cross the finish line always makes me tear up. Absolutely amazing. It's almost like a religious experience for me. I know, I'm ridiculous... These days we live outside the city but I still watch on TV every year.

The section of the course shown in this photo is part of my commute to work :).

It is my dream to run a marathon, and I really hope my dream comes true some day. I used to run competitively but nearly had to stop all of my running because of an injury. I finally got that under control and started running more, then had Celia and haven't had much time to run since! Watching the marathon always inspires me to get out there and run again. This summer Chris won't be taking any classes, which will allow more time for me to run while he's home with Celia in the evenings and on weekends. Even if I can't get to the level I'd like to be at, I need to run again.

Someday when I'm done having babies, those babies are older and life has settled down a little, maybe I'll run that dream marathon. Starting next year I'll take Celia to see the start of the Boston Marathon since we live nearby. Then one day in the future I'll be back at the finish line as a spectator, and if I really get lucky- as a runner.

Time to go! The elite women are lining up right now and I can't wait to watch the start. These women are absolutely amazing!!

4 comments:

  1. This post made me all sorts of happy! I hope you run your marathon too! I only started running AFTER i finished having kids. and hey? If I can run a marathon? ANyone can!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never knew Patriot's Day existed... what a neat holiday and a great way to remember where your state came from! Good luck with your running, that's very admirable and I just know with hardwork you can do it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh those women are amazing! I'm reading a book right now you would LOVE. t's called Run Like A Mother. (come and visit me on Friday, I'm doing a giveaway lol) But it really is an awesome book!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm always so impressed by those marathon runners and tri-athletes. If you truly want to run a marathon you will. I have quite a few friends who started running marathons in their mid-thirties so.....it can be done!!!

    ReplyDelete