Pita's class performed a tap number for the recital. It was adorable. Celia knew almost every step and was right with the music. She was a little nervous in the week leading up to the recital, telling me one minute she wanted to cancel the recital, and telling me next that she couldn't wait to perform. I think it helped that I have a lot of performance experience, so I could explain exactly what it would be like backstage and tell her how to focus her gaze when she was on stage. She remembered those things, and it probably made her feel more secure.
Celia was still feeling nervous the day of the dress rehearsal. I told her that the dress rehearsal would be fun, and that we would do that and then see how she felt. The atmosphere was one of controlled chaos at the rehearsal. It was completely normal for a dress rehearsal, but some of the little kids seemed shell shocked. Seeing tiny Pita on that big stage was quite a thing for me. She looked nervous, but I guess she wasn't. She told me that she loved being on stage, the lights didn't bother her, and she wanted to go up again! I think the nervous look was just an expression of seriousness about what she was doing.
On the day of the recital, Pita was a little nervous again as we got ready. But once we arrived at the school, she had no trouble at all. I took her backstage and got her set up with her classmates. The room was very busy, but they had their own little area. I thought she might have trouble with me leaving, but she just wanted a big hug and then was ready for me to go. Every time I think Celia might have trouble with something, she just takes it in stride. She is such a capable little girl.



Yay! I love watching little girls dance, I think it is just the cutest thing! That's so awesome that the school has programs like that.
ReplyDelete