Wednesday, March 5, 2014

attack of the strep monster

Welp, it's still getting to single digit or below zero temperatures here every night. We still have so much snow, and it will never melt at this rate. It's getting a bit depressing. Even a small sign of spring would be nice. 

We have had a rough twenty four hours around here. Celia wasn't feeling well when I picked her up from school yesterday. By the time we got home, she had a fever and was miserable. I looked in her throat and it looked like strep, so Chris headed home from work a little early and I took Pita to the doctor after dinner. Our appointment was at 7:00, which meant Celia would probably miss bedtime, but I really wanted to get her started on antibiotics right away. 


Still smiling with her Mommy, though. She's such a good girl when she's sick, poor thing.


By the time we left the doctor's office it was almost 7:30, and we still had to get to the pharmacy for her medicine. I had just picked out some juice for her at CVS, when Celia started throwing up. At CVS, all over the floor and all over her coat. There was nothing I could do but stand there waiting for her to be done. Ugh. I'm pretty sure I had a brief out of body experience, not quite comprehending that I was actually that lady with the kid throwing up all over CVS. Luckily I had a container of wipes in my bag, so I cleaned Celia and her coat as well as I could. And luckily the manager was such a nice guy and brought paper towels and gloves, and told me all about the time his son puked over the side of his top bunk and it got all over the room. He also pointed out a few squares of new carpet where someone else had thrown up not too long ago. So it could have been worse. Then we had to wait for the prescription, which was like torture because I didn't know if Celia would throw up again and she just wanted to go home and go to sleep. I was also hoping no one would come close enough to us to smell the vomit odor rising from our clothes. We finally got home, and I gave Pita the first dose of her medicine and put her to bed. She did not throw up during the night, so that was good. I didn't sleep very well, because ever since the time last month when she woke up crying and covered in vomit, I am extremely paranoid about nighttime vomit attacks. Ugh. 

Luckily Chris's mom was able to come stay with Celia today, so Chris and I could both work. Now it's snowing (of course, because we want more snow) and she is going to stay overnight and stay again with Celia tomorrow, since she can't go to school until she's had 48 hours of antibiotics. Celia is feeling much better today, thank goodness, and now I'm able to have a little down time before going to pick up Henry.

I say it every time, but this time I mean it. This had better be the absolute last time one of us gets sick this season! We need some spring! 


4 comments:

  1. I totally relate AGAIN! My son stayed home from school today. I thought maybe he was faking the tummy ache, so I gave him the choice to lay down and take a nap, or go to school (he is in PM kindergarten). After that he threw up… several times : /. Hope Celia feels better and that things warm up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness, that's just the worst! So sorry about the sickness(and I'b be paranoid about the midnight vom, too) but glad she's feeling better today!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's the worst!!! I'm so sorry and hope she's well real soon! :)

    When we ALL came down with Norovirus, it was 72 hours of us becoming "sick" one after the other. We laundered every single pair of sheets, every towel, every spare washcloth, and bath mat we owned. So much vomit. And the night time attacks you mentioned - that was the absolute worst sound ever.

    Best of luck, it'll be spring soon! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ohhh poor girl! I am sorry but that CVS manager story made me laugh! Because you know every time you go in there you'll notice those new carpet squares! :) Here in CT we have drive-thru windows for CVS pharmacy....it stinks that you had to keep waiting right in the store! I hope she's back to normal soon!

    ReplyDelete