Wednesday, June 6, 2012

preschools, cakes, and running loops

Yesterday we had a fun day around here. We went to visit a preschool in the morning. We met with the admissions director and saw the classroom. Yes, admissions director. It's a private day school that has a preschool program. I am not one of those people who have to have their kids in the best and most exclusive programs. That seems so snotty and competitive. It just happens that this school is really convenient for us and has a nice preschool program. I don't know if Celia will end up going there, but if we decide on it I'll tell more about the program because the school is unique. Anyway, I can't believe I'm considering things like filling out school applications for a 3-year-old. Crazy. Celia was really cute when I told her we were going to visit a preschool. I think that she thought she'd get to spend the whole day by herself because she immediately asked "Will I get to have my nap there? Do they have blocks? I love blocks." She was pleased to see that this school had a very large block area :)


Later in the morning my parents came for the day. I made the best cake for my dad's birthday, got it all frosted, turned my back for a minute and turned back to find it had all fallen apart.


Despite its appearance it was possibly the best cake I've ever made. Lemon cake, lemon frosting, lemon curd and coconut whipped cream filling, all vegan. Now I want to experiment with other cakes. Luckily Chris's birthday will be coming up next month.

I also ran 5.5 miles yesterday! It was my longest run since Henry was born and it was fun. I started off planning to do an out-and-back, three or four miles, but once I got two miles out I didn't feel like going back the same way. I kept going and did a nice loop back home. I thought I might be sore today, but I feel fine so am definitely ready for longer runs now.

This has nothing to do with anything. It's just kind of cute that Izzy's new favorite spot is in a Pack N Play for dolls.
Today Henry and I stayed home and I got quite a bit of housework done. Then Chris's mom came and is spending the night. Chris got home and had dinner with us, and went right down to his office to work more so I was lucky I had someone else around to help with the kids. I know some moms probably do it every night, but dinner, bath and bedtime are quite a challenge to do alone these days. It is awfully nice to have help and don't tell my husband, but the grandmothers are way more helpful than he is. Ha!

I'm yawning as I type, so I think it's time to close the laptop, read a bit, and get to bed early.

2 comments:

  1. Hope you are having a nice sleep - you deserve it! I saw your cake pic on twitter and died laughing! I bet it was good, though! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You crack me up girlie! Well the cake sounds really yummy and sense it tasted awesome, you just can't judge a book by its cover huh lol! I think it looks fine, lots better than some of the cakes I have made ha!

    Yay that you ran that far! I knew you would be doing that before to long, I know how much you love to run.

    I won't tell, I think grandmother's are more helpful too ha!

    O.K. so the kitty has an awesome new bed, wonder if Celia will kick her out?

    We had to fill out a big halabaloo of paperwork when Kelcee went to pre-school as well since it was private. I was like you I didn't want to sound snotty, ha, we just really liked the curriculam of the school. It turned out really well for Kelcee! To bad they don't have other grades :(. We did notice some of the parents were clickish and hoity toity for they all went to same church, etc., but it wasn't to long before I southern charmed my way in ha!

    I think it is so cute that Celia asked if they had blocks and nap time. I sure hope they have a billion blocks for her :)

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete