Tuesday, April 3, 2012

a little monster, a rolling baby and a cleaner kitchen

We had a good morning today... and that's about all I can say. Ha! The afternoon was a little rough. Henry's morning nap time is nice now, because he sleeps for about two hours and it's just Celia and me. Today we built a backhoe and an airplane with her bricks.



Then we played a game. Celia is lucky I have a lot of games for work in storage downstairs. There's always something new for her to try out, and now she's really getting old enough to play games.


After that, Celia played on her own while I got into a project in the kitchen. More on that in a minute. We woke Henry up from his nap after a while, and Pita and Henry played in his room. I got out a couple new toys for Henry and got ready to put away his clothes that are too small. While I was doing this, Henry rolled over! He did it twice, and I got a picture the second time. Here he is starting to roll...


And he did it!


He did it a third time too, so he definitely can roll now! Now we'll see when he starts rolling from back to front. I got it on video too, and of course that was the one time he started crying when he rolled over.

We went downstairs and Celia watched Caillou while I fed Henry and made lunch. For a while now she has been telling me frequently that her belly hurts. I can't figure out what it is, or if she's just faking it. But she wanted to lie down and rest during Caillou. I'm starting to get paranoid that there really is something wrong with her stomach, but without any specific symptoms I don't know what the doctor would even do.


Despite having a good morning and all the attention she got, Celia started acting up during and after lunch. She does things specifically to annoy me- spitting at me, trying to hit, making a huge mess with her food and trying to wipe it on me. Please tell me I'm not the only one whose child morphs into a monster! She even told me she was trying to make me angry! So of course I wasn't going to give her that satisfaction. I stayed calm, and she did have a timeout but I mostly ignored or tried to redirect her behavior. I thought maybe she was just really tired, but of course she didn't sleep a wink at nap time. I had to go get her out of her room early because she was in there yelling. I was too late, because she woke Henry up so he didn't have a good nap either! At that point I was feeling pretty done with Celia, so I just had her watch a movie for a while so she'd at least be resting and not driving me nuts. The rest of the day was pretty good after that.

Now for that kitchen project. I wanted to clear the countertops of excess clutter and have the kitchen look neater from now on, so I did some reorganization today. The before and after pictures don't look drastically different, but in person it's much cleaner and less cluttered.

Before:


After:






I moved some things, and made space in the cupboards for things I use but don't need cluttering the counters all the time. There's more empty counter space now. I'd like to replace the canisters with white ones to brighten things up, and eventually paint the walls green. The room could use some color, and I have a shade of green in mind that would look so nice with the floor and cabinets.

I think I wrote this post in record time! Celia's playing happily by herself and Henry is now having what will hopefully be a good nap. Time to prep dinner while I have time.

3 comments:

  1. Your kitchen looks great! I always feel so much better when I declutter mine, too. It's commander center in the house, so it seems to add up before I know it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow, you're kitchen it SPOTLESS!

    granted, my son is only 8 months so i am no expert but perhaps your daughter's stomach aches have to do with changes in your family or something to that extent.. i only say this b/c when my little sister was born, i often complained to my mom that i had stomach aches. now, looking back i realize that it was more of a nervous stomach but i didn't know how to describe it to my mom... just a thought! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Way to go strong boy! :)
    And, my little b, does the exact same things. It has even gotten to the point now where he will say a "bad word" (like "butt") and then immediately say, "Oh I sorry Mommy. I sorry for saying the bad word." He LOVES it!
    Such a catch 22, I try to ignore and redirect, too, but he is too smart for that many times and I can only take so much!
    Kitchen looks great!! Come do mine, now! :)

    ReplyDelete