Tuesday, November 15, 2011

my new gig

No, the new gig does not involve the new guy yet, though I did think I was going into labor on Sunday night. It was a false alarm, but something was definitely going on. I had all the signs that I was in early labor, but maybe my body was just getting ready for it and then stopped. The baby has now dropped noticeably lower, though. It also gave us a good practice run for when labor does happen. When Chris saw that I was cueing up some Hypnobirthing tracks to listen to, he got a deer-in-the-headlights kind of expression on his face and started packing a hospital bag for himself- ha! Anyway, I started to feel better before bedtime and then overnight things slowed down and I wasn't in labor after all. I was glad we didn't call our families to come all the way for nothing.

On Monday morning I still wasn't feeling too hot when I got to work. I decided to spend the afternoon getting all my paperwork done, just in case I didn't end up coming back. When I received an email midday that reminded me why I never wanted to return to that job, I thought: You know what? I only have a day and a half left before maternity leave was scheduled to begin anyway. Screw this. I'm out. So last night I sent a few emails arranging for my leave to begin right away, rather than finishing out the week. And so begins my new gig as a stay-at-home mom! Yikes. What am I getting myself into?

I'll tell you what I'm getting into. Apparently somebody thinks my new job allows for lots of time to empty sinks full of dishes in the mornings.


This morning it was really warm and nice outside. Celia and I ran an errand and stopped at a park to play a little, and then we met Chris for lunch. It was time for her nap when we got home, and she must have been really tired after our busy morning because after reading just one book she said she wanted to go upstairs. Note to self: Keep the kid busy in the mornings!


I decided to start decorating for Christmas today. I'm nesting and literally can. not. stop cleaning the house, picking up clutter, and cooking things for the freezer. Because clearly I cannot bring a baby into the world when my kitchen cabinets haven't been wiped down five times. With Thanksgiving drawing nearer and the baby not born, I figured I might as well go for it with the Christmas stuff. I don't think I'll feel like decorating much in the days after the baby is born. During Pita's nap I got some decorations out and put them up. Also, when you're putting out new decorations and moving things around you end up wiping things down and dusting too- it's a crazy pregnant lady's dream, really.


And finally, Celia forgot her white stuffed kitty when she slept over at Chris's parents house. She was without it for a couple days and definitely missed it because she's pretty attached. We told her White Kitty was having a little vacation and she was okay with that, but she kept asking when the kitty would be back. Today we had a special FedEx delivery, and here was Pita's reaction when she opened the package.


3 comments:

  1. Congrats on the new gig! I am glad you got to leave a bit early, especially if things were going downhill like that. I can't wait to hear about his birth soon!
    C's cat pics? Love 'em!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats to you! You will be so busy with both of the little ones. Then when Celia starts school you will busy being room mom or at least helping out alot. There is always something goin on at the schools. Another thing is that you will get to experience every little first your little boy does by being home. You are lucky you you can do this because it is a sacrifice. I chose to this as well even though I have one, he's thirteen now and I've been on the lookout for work which hasn't happened. But I still don't regret being there for him and I know he has always really appreciated it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sweet face!! That girl is so precious!!

    ReplyDelete