Friday, February 18, 2011

more hints of spring, and advice needed on toddler sleep!

Both yesterday and today have been beautiful. The other moms at Celia's music class and I were lamenting that we couldn't do much outside because there's still so much snow on the ground! We do have a little path through the yard that Celia likes to run up and down, and we also went for a nice walk after lunch today.



We've been having trouble getting Celia to go to sleep lately. She's entered a stage where she doesn't want to go to sleep by herself. She kind of panics when she sees we're going to leave her, and she's started trying to avoid nap and bedtime. When it was clear that nap time was going to fail in the crib today, I lay with her in the big bed until she fell asleep and let her nap there. We may be buying a bed for her soon, because I don't like leaving her alone in the full bed and she seems capable of sleeping in a bed now. If she slept in a bed all the time, Chris or I could just go lie with her for a while when she wakes up in the night. As it is now, we battle to keep her in the crib, she is miserable and will stay up all night if we leave her there, and I finally bring her to bed with us. Decisions, decisions.

Yesterday I made a rare visit to Whole Foods and got a couple new things to try: Vegan marshmallows (and they're really good!) and Daiya mozzarella.


Not sure what I'll do with the Daiya yet. I was also very impressed with the prices at WF, especially for organic produce. Their prices have really come down now that other stores offer competition with natural and organic foods, but the produce quality is still the best there is. I may be shopping there more now.

The sun is out and it's nice and warm right now. I think I might set up Celia's slide and car in the driveway after nap time, so we can play outside some more. I've also been thinking that it's time to get her a little tricycle: something sturdy with real tires (not plastic) and a handle for us to push, so we can go on walks with it. I think she would love that.

So, now I have a question for you, readers and friends:
Do you lie in bed with your kids when they fall asleep, or have you done it in the past? How did it work out? Was it just a phase? I think Celia's just going through a typical toddler phase, kind of like she did with the bathtub. We may be shopping for a little bed this weekend!

6 comments:

  1. i might not have the popular opinion, but i do have 4 kids who all sleep really good. IF it were me, i would let her CIO. hadley has gone through phases with bedtime, especially when we get off our schedule for a couple days and will scream at the thought of bed time. usually after 1 night of letting her cry, she goes down really easy the next day and so on. my husband has a difficult time listening, and will hide in the basement.

    if you think it is her crib she doesn't like, then go ahead and make the switch to a big girl bed. i'm not sure if you have the room, but you could have her sleep on a mattress on the floor, or just put rails up on the big bed. BUT if you think she is just resisting sleep, then i wouldn't even think of switching her until she has her sleeping issues fixed.

    what is your goal? if you are all for co-sleeping, and that is what you want, then go for it! but if your goal is to have celia sleep independently, then i wouldn't do it... one of my friends is dealing with this same issue now. her daughter is almost 2 and now every night they need to go in to her room, take her out of the crib and lay down with her. she is having another baby, and doesn't know what to do when the baby comes and she is still needed in her daughters room at night.

    for the record, i am not against co-sleeping at all... i am very much for whatever works, BUT i think you need to look at the big picture, and long term and not just what will work for today/tonight.

    how is she a day care? is she any different with your husband when he puts her down?

    sorry for answering the question with more questions... did i make sense? lol!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hiya! Thanks for following One Busy Chick! Your blog is great, and I can't wait to read more :) I so wish we had a whole foods here, we have Planet Organic in the city but that's still about 40 minutes away from our town. We have a cute little organic foods store here but it is VERY small and most things cost quite a lot because they can't bring in the bulk quantities. I am going to venture into PO this month and see if I can find the items you have here as now I am curious ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey girl,
    I am amazed by all that SNOW! That is gonna take forever to melt! Vegan Marshmallows what are they made of? Glad they are yummy! They look yummy!

    O.K. so I am no expert here I am a new mommy well she is 4 so I a mommy of 1 LOL, but I do know the sleeping sitch all to well! Kelcee did really well sleeping by herself in her crib until she was just about two! She was our little monkey and we were scared she would climb and fall so we transitioned her before she was two to a small plastic toddler bed so she wouldn't fall! I was so worried about that! She did real well sleeping in it for she loved the new freedom! I did start laying with her, yup in the toddler bed haha until she fell asleep and it worked out great! When she hit 3 we bought her twin canopy/trundle bed and she loves it! She still has me lay with her until she falls asleep and that is fine by me her bed is sooo comfy!

    So if I had to do it again I would skip the plastic toddler bed and just buy a twin bed and get a side railing so she won't roll out and line the floor with a big body pillow! Then you and her will both be comfy when putting her to sleep and both of you will get much needed rest! Just an idea, ya know all kids are different, and Im surely know expert LOL

    ooooh whole foods, Ihave always wanted one here so I could buy more organic produce our grocery stores just don't have that much!

    xoxo
    Sums

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had two non-sleepers (one still doesn't sleep). I eventually had to do cry-it-out with the oldest and I'm now starting with the almost nine month old. It's whatever makes you feel comfortable. Our oldest transitioned beautifully into his toddler bed/room. We had let him sleep without one of the sides to the crib for about three weeks with tons of pillows on the floor. We never lay with him to fall asleep. I'm a firm believer that they need to learn the skill of going to bed wide awake and learning to fall asleep on their own. Good luck and I love your little organic/vegan tips.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Whole foods has great coupons too. I was able to get a half gallon of coconut milk from there for free using one of their store coupons and a manufacture coupon also. I have found that alot of their products are actually cheaper than trader joes or the regular store...well at least for what I buy. No clue on the sleeping lb still only naps by my side but sleeps mostly great at night in his crib

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ugh, sleep issues are the hardest when raising small kids! :( My first instinct is that this is just a phase, she's growing up and trying to test her boundaries & independence and, because it worked for me, I think it's best to stick with routine. For us, it was about NOT giving Emily any excuses/crutches/wrinkles in her routine that she could latch on to long-term and undo all the sleep-training and great sleep we had prior.

    I'm with Shannon! :)

    Best of luck!

    ReplyDelete