Thursday, December 16, 2010

how i came to be blacklisted by little old ladies everywhere

I've been a bit under the weather the past couple days with a cold. This includes the worst cold symptom of all: the tickly throat. You know, where you can cough and drink water and tea and suck on cough drops all you want, but that tickly feeling just won't go away? And it feels fine during the day but as soon as you lie down to go to sleep, it won't let you? So I haven't been sleeping the past two nights. Hopefully tonight will be better. Oh, and the best part is that I have fluid in my ears so I can't hear anything!

This little monkey still has her cold, but is still herself and you'd never know she wasn't fit as a fiddle.

I had to work in the afternoon today, so I spent the morning cleaning the house from top to bottom, running the laundry and dishwasher, and putting everything away. I wasn't feeling great, so I figured that could count as today's workout :).

Oh, and on my way to work I stole a parking spot from a little old lady.

I decided to pick up lunch on the way to work. The parking lot was very busy with shoppers, and there were cars everywhere. I turned into a row to look for a spot. There was one not too far down, and farther down was a little old lady with her car jack-knifed across the row, basically stuck there. It looked like she had been trying to park or back out of a spot. I wasn't going to sit there waiting to see what happened with that. Based on my experience, little old ladies driving large cars in busy parking lots move very, verrrrry slowly. So I quickly zoomed into the available parking space to get out of everyone's way. I got out of my car and started walking toward the building. The little old lady was still stuck exactly where she was before, and behind me I could hear her yelling. "Thank you! Thank you!" And something else I couldn't really hear. And then I realized that she had been trying to turn her car around to get to the parking spot I had taken, and she was mad at me for taking it! She must have driven by and missed it, and rather than simply continuing on to the next open spot or reversing back to that one, she took the superior option of blocking the entire row of a busy parking lot to engage in a thirty minute 24-point turn while expecting everyone else to leave that spot empty so it would be free if she ever made it back there. I experienced a minor feeling of guilt because I had, though accidentally, stolen a parking spot from a little old lady. However, the situation was so ridiculous that there really wasn't much to feel bad about. Honestly, if her judgment was poor enough that she couldn't figure out how to obtain a parking space, it's questionable whether she should have been in that parking lot in the first place. And what could I have done? Gone back across the lot to move my car out of that space so she could park there? A bit much. I still feel a little bad, though. Which is probably the reason that I've written an entire post about the incident. 

And that's how I became a rude, insolent young scoundrel who steals parking spots from little old ladies with poor visual spatial skills who drive big, big Buicks.

5 comments:

  1. I hope you all start feeling better! The husband and Dmitri are both sick too...not fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, it was an honest mistake, right? She now has something to tell her friends this afternoon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like you couldn't possibly have known the little old lady wanted the spot!

    ReplyDelete
  4. i love little kids. i also have two kids. thanks :)

    ReplyDelete