Wednesday, August 11, 2010

pedestrian case histories, part three: the arm holders

Welcome to the third installment of Pedestrian Case Histories! On my runs and around our neighborhood, I frequently see the same people walking or running. They're all interesting in some way, and over time I develop theories about who they are and what their lives are like. Sometimes, like in today's case, I even learn something from these strangers. Today's case history will highlight The Arm Holders.

I have a special affection for The Arm Holders. I think they must be very happy people. They are a couple, and they take walks together almost every day. They live just down the street from us. They dress in workout clothes for their walks. He always wears gym shorts and a t-shirt, and she always wears a t-shirt with spandex shorts. This is where it gets interesting: The entire time they're walking, each of them has an arm around the other. Have you ever walked that way for a long period of time? It's not easy. It's kind of awkward to move that way, unless maybe you're both the same height. Anyway, because they walk with their arms around each other, their pace is extremely slow. It's really more of a stroll than a walk. Which means they're actually not getting a workout at all. It's kind of funny that they dress like they're exercising and then just take a stroll with their arms around each other. So they have remained quite pudgy in the five years we've been watching them go by. I think the pudge makes them even more endearing, and the lack of true exercise doesn't matter at all. That's because the really important thing about The Arm Holders is that they're happy. They always look so, so happy to be together. Every day they spend this time together, arms around each other, walking and talking. No relationship is perfect, so they must have their squabbles and grumpy moments just like any other couple. But every day they put those things aside and enjoy each other's company.

The Arm Holders have become marriage idols of mine. Are there people you have looked up to as models for maintaining a strong marriage? A couple I often think of first is one of my college professors and his wife. I got to know them well and spent many hours in their home, watching them interact and marveling at the amazing relationship they had. It was so clear that they truly enjoyed, appreciated, and respected one another. All the time. That's hard! Even when they disagreed, they could find humor in it and actually appreciate each other's opinions as being unique and part of the person they loved. There is something amazing about their chemistry and deep appreciation for each other that I can't describe. It was very special that they attended my wedding years later.

I kind of went off on a tangent there, but the point I wanted to make was that The Arm Holders have become people I admire. When I see them coming down the hill I exclaim "The Arm Holders!! The Arm Holders are going by!" I've even been known to run for a camera to take their picture. I'm a weirdo neighbor stalker, and you're lucky not to live next door to me. Then Chris tells me to quiet down and step away from the window so they don't know I'm staring at them. I always embarrass him somehow. Party pooper. The Arm Holders make my day, they really do. And in their small way, just by walking by, they remind me that I could be so much better at appreciating and showing love for my Blub, every day.

3 comments:

  1. You are so funny! At least you can have a good time during your runs. I don't know how the "arm holder" couple does it. I couldn't walk for very long like they do with my arm around Dave.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Seriously, how can you walk and NOT swing both arms, in opposite direction of course!?!?!? haha I can totally envision this couple based on your description, by the way, and I admire them, too! You're a great storyteller and I really look forward to this post each week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That sounds like something that would make my day too! I'd totally stare!

    ReplyDelete