Tuesday, July 27, 2010

the terrible, awful, horrible, no good, very bad run

Yesterday I started getting sick. I can only guess I'm now coming down with the virus Celia had. She at least seems much better now. I was scheduled for a 7-mile run, and knew I wasn't feeling great but figured I'd at least get something done. So while Chris and Celia started dinner I headed out. I could tell immediately that my legs hadn't recovered sufficiently from Saturday's long run. I need to start taking more time to stretch, take ice baths, use compression, or whatever ends up making recovery better. Anyway, my legs just felt dead. I did manage a 10 minute pace for about 6 miles, with a couple of walking breaks. Then I had to walk the last mile home (this mile includes a .5 mile uphill that I could not handle). By the time I got home, almost every affliction that could befall a runner had befallen me during the course of a single run. And running afflictions are mostly not very pleasant. I told Chris I felt like quitting marathon training, wallowed in a banana with peanut butter, and hobbled upstairs for a shower. By that point I was feeling flu-like symptoms that included an uncontrollable case of shivery chills. When I could no longer justify wasting more hot water in the shower, I bundled up in a fleece robe and ski socks (a bit odd for July), and ended up in bed at 8:30. As I type this morning (thank goodness Celia is playing well by herself for a few minutes so I can just sit) I'm wearing socks, sweatshirt, jeans, and fleece robe. It's 77 degrees in here.

Celia slept almost all the way through the night 'till her wake up time. At least I had that going for me. She slept until 5:15 am, I rocked her for a minute, and she slept again until 6. I definitely need to take today off from running. I still have the chills, very sore throat, and am achy all over, and it will not be easy to get through the day by myself. I feel bad that I can't really do much with Celia.

Okay, enough griping. I'm sure once I feel better my training will be back to normal. Hopefully I won't miss too many runs but I need to rest right now.

2 comments:

  1. Yep, the joys of marathon training, right?! I had a similiar one last night! It was hot, humid, and I was still worn out from traveling and such!
    Then? The next time around you feel great and LOVE running so much again..ahh fun, right!?
    In the meantime? Feel better!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ICK. I am so sorry that you got sick! I would definately rest while you can-don't worry about running until your body recovers!

    ReplyDelete