Saturday, July 31, 2010

15 miles, 100 motorcycles, and 1 mean dog

I got my long run in today! I'm still contagious and not completely better, but it's just the rash and blister thingies left. I got 14.7 miles in today, with some walking breaks. The last four miles were tough. My legs were like jello. Jello with tight spots in the hip flexors. How the heck am I going to run 16 in two weeks? I need to pace myself better.

So, my run was very...interesting. First, the motorcycle part. I was running along a nice winding country road when I heard some motorcycles. I figured it was probably, you know, five or so. I kept running and waited for them to go by. They did, except there were many more than just five. They kept coming and coming! They were coming from behind me, taking up the whole road to the point where I had to just stop and stand beside the road for safety. Very, very annoying. So I stood there, hands on my hips but not showing too much annoyance (because who knows how a hundred or so Hell's Angels react to someone being annoyed at their behavior), waiting to continue my run. There must have been 80-100 motorcycles. It lasted for a few minutes, and just as I thought to get my phone out and take a video the last ones went by. At the end of the "procession" was a jeep with American flags flying from all sides. Then I thought, "Oh! They're just being patriotic Americans! That's okay then. Carry on then, good citizens! Don't mind that you're running everyone else off the road!". Sad that so many people think being an American means doing whatever they want regardless of their impact on others.

Anyway, back to the run! I ran up lots and lots of hills. I ran on very pretty roads. I checked behind me for serial killers jumping out of the brush on long stretches of secluded road.


Now for the dog. As a runner covering a lot of miles, I come across a lot of dogs. I've developed a great appreciation for well-trained, friendly dogs and responsible owners. This is because I also encounter plenty of unleashed dogs, some unfriendly, all with irresponsible owners. Sad for those dogs, and for me. Though I wish all dogs were leashed or contained in their yards, I don't mind seeing a dog come running at me barking if the dog is clearly approaching me in a friendly way. I don't mind if a dog barks from his yard but isn't going to leave the yard. Today a big dog with no leash and no tags came running at me barking, growling, and baring his teeth. He cornered me at the side of the road when I tried to keep running by. He kept growling and crouched low as if to attack. Great. I stopped running and stood my ground, waiting to see what would happen. Typically if I stop running, stand my ground and slowly walk away after a few moments, unfriendly dogs will let me go. This mean dude wasn't letting me move an inch. So I stood there for a minute trying to decide what to do. Finally a little boy came out of a house about 200 yards away and started shaking a treat box, trying to call the dog away. Great. Clearly a well-trained animal. The dog ignored the boy and crouched low to attack. This went on for another few minutes, when finally I called out "Come get your dog before I call the police!". The situation was getting ridiculous and I didn't know what else to do. The boy kept going back in the house, and finally a woman came out and called the dog away. The dog still stayed between us looking mean. Instead of apologizing or sending the dog inside, the woman proceeded to blame me for the incident! Apparently if I had "just kept going" the dog would have left me alone. Riiight... I told her that because I didn't know her dog and couldn't predict his behavior, for my safety I stood there until she got the dog. She continued to blame me. At that point I was just plain pissed off at this woman, and I may have let her know in some not-very-nice ways. Oops... I can have quite a mouth sometimes. She deserved it, and when I got home I had a nice little talk with the local animal control officer who will pay her a visit. Booyah!

This is where I'd put a picture of the dog if I'd thought to take one. Just envision him: Snarly, crouching, ready-to-attack, and probably weighing more than I do. 

After the run, I examined a new black-purple callous/blister thingy at the end of my small toe while taking an ice bath. Then, a fantastic shower and a trip to Panera to pick up dinner. I ordered a sandwich and a salad. The girl asked if I wanted the half sandwich/salad combo. I pretended to consider it so I wouldn't seem like a pig, then asked for the full sizes and muttered a lie about saving the leftovers. It was either that or explain that I needed a lot of food after running 15 miles, which isn't something most people can relate to.

The reason I could trot out for dinner wherever I wanted was that Chris and Celia were gone at a wedding today. I couldn't go because I'm still contagious, and this virus is apparently very contagious. So, I ended up with quite a bit of time on my own which was nice, but weird. I wish I could have been there. Chris did send a picture of Pita in her dress.


She looks so tiny and cute in it! I wish I could have been with her. Then again, getting my revenge on the mean dog lady, resting my legs and eating massive amounts of sandwich, salad, and pie hasn't been bad either.

1 comment:

  1. I love your story. Amazing how completely oblivious people can be to common manners, especially when either in large groups or isolated. I have done just a few long runs in the rural area south of where I live in Oklahoma. I have encountered dogs that seemed friendly but I really had no way to know so I was very careful indeed. I was thinking next time I would make sure to bring a knife with me, seriously.
    I was really glad to read that you cussed that lady out, she deserved it. I hope she gets a talking to by the animal control officer as well!
    I wish I had taken an ice bath like you had. I ran 12 yesterday and my ankles and feet are still hurting.
    Hope you become less contagious soon!

    ReplyDelete