Today was pick up day for our farm share. We got the usual stuff: sugar snap peas, spinach, salad greens, swiss chard, broccoli, and kale. Oh, and apparently it was harvest day for one other crop of greens.
Do you know what this is a picture of? Well naughty you! This afternoon, Celia and I got to the farm store to pick up our share. You know, the family-friendly place that sells fresh eggs and ice cream to small children and hosts concerts on Friday evenings. The farmer's kids were playing outside with some friends. A few people were milling about in the parking lot. Perfectly normal. I walked into the store and smelled something: Something unmistakable because of the massive clouds of it swirling around the room. Marijuana smoke. The room was filled with it! The farmer's wife was stoned! The farm hand was stoned! There was a woman there with her mentally disabled adult daughter. I do not know if they were in on this, but unless they've been living under a rock they must have known what was going down. I can't even imagine the shocked expression that must have been on my face. It was very awkward. I gave my name for our share and got our stuff. At this point (about 10 seconds after arriving) I was actually feeling the effects of the smoke. That's how strong it was. And then I wondered if my one-year-old was also feeling it! So we left our bag there and went across the street to look at the chickens.
Celia loved the chickens! There were at least three roosters and probably about thirty hens. She waved and said "hi" to all of them, and was surprised every time one of the roosters crowed.
Back to the pot den to collect our bag of vegetables. The farmer's wife and farm hand were especially talkative and giddy. At this point I was over the shock, and was just wondering why the heck the farm store was filled with pot smoke. I wanted so badly to comment on it, but the situation was just so weird. Plus, what on earth would I have said? "I smell you have a new crop in today. How's the taste test going?" Hmm, no. "Gee, it smells great in here!" Too forward. "Well something smells awfully familiar in here. What on earth is that?" Too phony... At least I now have a decent hypothesis about why the farmer's kids are so chunky. Munchies, perhaps?
Who knew community supported agriculture could be so exciting? Now I sure am looking forward to next Tuesday's pick up! Chris and I are just wondering what kind of share you have to buy to get in on the "special crop"...

That was hilarious! I am suprised they were growing veggies too, and not chips and cheetos!
ReplyDeleteHahahaha....! This cracked me up.
ReplyDeleteYou were hot boxed by your farmers!! ; 0
This made me laugh right out loud!
ReplyDeleteYou crack me up girl.....
xoxo
Summer
Okay, I need to stop laughing that is so funny!
ReplyDeleteI guess farm living is the life! Ha Ha Ha!
That is hilarious! I don't know how I would have reacted if I were in your shoes...
ReplyDeleteI had to click on this link after your Miscellany Monday post today...Hilarious!
ReplyDeleteAlso, I love how you guys have a crop share....Neat!