Wednesday, May 26, 2010

a day like any other

Celia and I are having a pretty relaxed day today. It's too hot to be outside much, so we've spent most of our day playing inside and will try taking a walk late this afternoon. We also did our grocery shopping and Celia helped put everything away. As soon as we get home, I start unpacking the groceries. Celia will unpack a bag and bring everything to me, one by one. It's so cute and it actually is helpful!


We had an interesting experience at the store. A boy who was about ten came running up to our cart and was interested in Celia. I could tell that something wasn't quite right about him because he wasn't talking much and was acting strange. But then he started reaching for Celia's face and trying to get her pacifier! I was still trying to be very nice because: a) I was sure that this boy had some kind of disability, and b) because it feels very awkward to have to discipline a stranger's child in public! I did have to protect Celia, so I told the boy "Don't touch the baby" and then had to take his hand and move it away from her while saying "No, no" as nicely as I could. His father finally came over (he was watching the entire time, doing nothing!), gave no apology, and led the boy away. Later in the checkout, they were behind us in line and the boy went to an empty register a couple lanes down and started messing around the register! I could not believe it. I don't think the boy could control his behavior, but I was shocked that the father did nothing. He halfheartedly said "Come back over here, buddy" and then just let him do whatever he wanted. I'm sure the father means well and just doesn't know how to manage his child's behavior (I'm being very kind, here), but it was completely unacceptable and all the other adults nearby were looking around trying to figure out what to do!


We've been trying to figure out what's going on with Celia's naps. Some days she still needs two naps, and other times she will only take one. This morning she took a two hour nap, and this afternoon spent 45 minutes talking to herself in the crib before finally falling asleep for a little while. It would be nice to figure out a schedule, because I feel all mixed up if I've been planning to get things done during her nap and she doesn't take one.


That's all the news here. No dead vermin on the deck makes for a great day!

1 comment:

  1. That is quite awkward, having to deal with another persons children, isn't it? Too bad his dad didn't help you out a bit more, huh? Nap thing? Don't you love trying to figure them out!?

    ReplyDelete